Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic initial impression
First initial impression after i got mine:
FW updated to v2015.05.25
changed some default settings, especially the timeout to OFF.
I mounted the camera on my 5.11 LBE vest. Turned it on before every encounter with a driver, as I was getting out from the patrol car. The shift started during the daylight, after 2 hours I had to use IR light. Sometimes, it was not enough to press the IR button once to turn the IR on, i had to press it 2-3 times (some kind of sleep mode?!).
In order to review the movies, I connected it directly to my Samsung Galaxy S4 and with VLC player it was easy to review them.
Quality is decent, but I don't have any experience with body cams, so didn't know what to expect.
I would like to see an indication from top view when IR is on.
My came with silicone sticker on front, to protect the lens. Nice touch.
Sound quality could be better, too much noise, but I can clearly understand the conversations.
The shift was rather short (18:00-22:00) so no real experience with battery life. WIth lot "playing" around and connecting via USB to my phone, at 23:00 when I got home I had only one strip on battery indicator. I would like to see a more detailed battery status (percentage).
The user manual is not in sync with the FW updates. It is also missing the front scheme what-is-what.
In general, after only a partial shift and review of the footage (regular encounters with drivers), I am happy so far. Lets see what the time tells, especially with two points:
1. battery life
2. fact that I had to push IR button twice or 3 times to turn it on.
3. can you update the FW to have some kind of indication when the IR is on (from top view)?
Are you still using it? How is the battery life?
(06-24-2015, 03:05 PM)Deputy.D Wrote: Are you still using it? How is the battery life?

Sorry, I was not subscribed to the posts .
Until now, I was only on 4-5 hours shifts, starting at late afternoon. I didn't do any statistics, and since the battery meter has only 3 bars, I always finish the shift with only 1.
I am sure that you would like to know how many the camera was working. I don't know. It was active with pre-record all the time and with night, IR was on. IR light is taking a lot of battery.
I was only once on 8 hours shift until now, but I don't have any details from that one.
I am planning in connecting a phone battery pack to the camera if I need more juice.
(07-04-2015, 06:55 PM)dvas2000 Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 03:05 PM)Deputy.D Wrote: Are you still using it? How is the battery life?

Sorry, I was not subscribed to the posts .
Until now, I was only on 4-5 hours shifts, starting at late afternoon. I didn't do any statistics, and since the battery meter has only 3 bars, I always finish the shift with only 1.
I am sure that you would like to know how many the camera was working. I don't know. It was active with pre-record all the time and with night, IR was on. IR light is taking a lot of battery.
I was only once on 8 hours shift until now, but I don't have any details from that one.
I am planning in connecting a phone battery pack to the camera if I need more juice.

Connecting a battery pack sounds like a great idea! Idea Idea

Finally I had a long shift from 07:00 till 3pm. The PatrolEyes started to beep due to low battery after around 6 hours of being in standby in highest resolution. Based on the formal specs, it is supposed to be 6.5 hours.
Next time, I will connect it to the phone battery pack when I am on long shifts.
I also want to try on shorter shifts of 4-5 hours, but with IR constantly on.

I am currently in contact with their support on two topics:
1. when connecting to battery pack, it is not that easy to get out of PC Connected mode, but it is possible. I need to press photo button, take a picture and that is taking me out of the PC Connected mode. THey were not able to simulate this, so I will prepare a movie of it.
2. FW upgrade to use one of the top LEDs to show when IR is on. THey are looking into this and I am waiting for their response.
Some additional info:
- the lens has different viewing angle, depending on the resolution. Until now, I was using the highest resolution. While going through the footage, if I was very close to the person, the view able was not wide enough. I made some tests at home and i moved the resolution to 720 for next shift. The viewing angle is wider.
- while using the in highest resolution, the battery is working around 6 hours. Lately, my shifts are getting longer, so i ordered right angled miniUSB cable. I took with my a phone external battery pack and after 6 hours when the camera started to beep due to low battery, I put the battery pack in the vest and connected to the camera.
- There is still that issue that when connected to the battery pack, you first have to get out from the PC CONNECTED mode, by pressing once STILL IMAGE button. After that, after the picture is taken, the camera is getting out of the PC CONNECTED mode into preview mode and I was able to use the it regularly.
- Support guys were not able to simulate this issue. When I get some time, I will send them a recording of this so they can look into it.
- I also took some non-glass mobile phone protection cover, cut out a circle, just a bit bigger than the lens and sticked on it to protect it.

So far, I am happy with the camera performance. I am just getting used to it to start the record button whenever I get out from the police car.